RMS is introducing more members of the PM-Series drive family. These AC Traction Controllers are designed for on- and off-road Electric (EV) or Hybrid Electric (HEV) applications. The PM-Series family is fabricated using a patented high heat flux thermal design approach that dramatically reduces the size and weight of the finished drive, and improves its life in the automotive environment. The company has extensive experience in automotive and military vehicle traction and power electronics, and produces the smallest, lightest drives for HEV propulsion in everything from tow vehicles to the pinnacle of motorsports. RMS has achieved a major breakthrough in integrating Electronic Traction into any vehicle. The PM100 model is in production while the PM150 model is still in development.
The PM100DX is an AC Traction Controller designed for on- and off-road Electric (EV) or Hybrid Electric (HEV) applications. The Traction drive is fabricated using a patented high heat flux thermal design approach that dramatically reduces the size and weight of the finished drive, and improves its life in the automotive environment. With extensive experience in automotive and military vehicle traction and power electronics applications, RMS has achieved a major breakthrough in integrating Traction Control into a vehicle.
The PM100DZ is a higher voltage version of its sister product, the DX line.
Electric Motors Supported by the RMS Traction Inverter
- Siemens/Ford Ranger Induction Motor
- Remy HvH 250
- Remy HVH410‐150P
- MES-DEA 200-250 Induction Motor
- EVO AF-140 4T
- EVO AF-140 3T
- EVO AF-130 3T
- EVO AF-230 6T/ AF-130 6T
- EVO AF-130 3T 5x Resolver
- EVO AF-130 6T 5x Resolver
- EVO AF 130-5T
- EVO AF‐140 4T 1/2 Stack
- Yasa 750 PM Motor
- Siemens 1PV5135-4WS28
- Parker PM Motor
- Remy HVH250HT Motor (In Development)
- EVO AF-140-12 PM Motor
- MES Induction motor
- UQM-75 Motor
- EMRAX PM Motor
- Yasa 400 PM Motor w/ sin/cos encoder
- Remy HVH410‐150S
- Numerous Customer, Proprietary Installations
CAN Interface for RMS
MotoHawk CAN Library for RMS PM100
Supports RMS release BB2_20111109_14C0.hex. Request more information on the MotoHawk library at firstname.lastname@example.org. This library and the RMS PM family of inverters integrates well with the New Eagle EV Supervisory Control system, and furthermore makes a nice EV Powertrain combination with one of the supported motors.
CAN Configuration Parameters
New Eagle's Application Engineering team can assist on a consulting or applciations contract in the correct settings of the EEPROM setting for successful implementation of the RMS drive. Many of the off the shelf settings are made to assist users who directly connect the pedal - brake interface to the inverter.
A more sophisticated (and safer) strategy for EVs is to use a supervisory controller with control over CAN. This is one of the functions of the New Eagle EV Supervisory controller.
Please contact Sales for more information on our EEPROM settings file.
Rinehart Motion FAQs
The PM100DX weighs approximately 19lbs or 8.62kgs
Step by step instructions to installing a Rinehart Motion Inverter using a Remy Motor. This document describes the multiple types of Remy motors. It also describes the process to set up the motor type.
Both the PM100 and PM150 series inverters use AN6 coolant fittings.
What is the Switching Frequency on the PM100
Firmware Release Notes
Current Version is SWRP 17.0.1, September 17, 2012 Click here to download the Firmware release notes and download the software tools.
- Attempted to fix the issue where GDB temperature is not reading properly
- Attempted to fix the issue where the CAN is coming up with CAN Command Message Lost fault at power up.
- Fixed the issue where the regen ramp down is not initialized correctly when brake is in switch mode.
Version SWRP 15, 6 December, 2011 Click here to download the Firmware release notes and download the software tools.
- Added new motor types
- Added Resolver PWM Delay Command and Gamma Adjust GUI Command (CAN Parameter Addresses 11 and 12 respectively) to be updated through CAN.
- Added a new parameter, Torque Rate Limit (CAN Parameter Address 167) that controls the ramp rate for the torque command
- Updated the procedure on how EEPROM parameters are programmed and take effect when CAN Command message is used to program EEPROM parameters.
- Added a new parameter, Inverter Enable Lockout bit to CAN broadcast message ID 0x0AA, Byte 6, BIT 7, (both byte and bit numbers start with 0).
- Improved the calculation of speed and table look ups by allowing a larger range values to be accepted.
- Reduced motor defluxing delay by 1 second for all PM motors. This allows a faster response from the time when the inverter is actually enabled.
- Added a new CAN message 0x0AE to provide the firmware information that includes date code, firmware release number, etc.
version SWRP 14A, 7 June 2011
March 3 2011, version is 13-B1 Click here to download the Firmware release notes and download the software tools.
- Fixed the issue where HW faults were not cleared by the “Clear Fault Command”, both through CAN and RMS GUI.
Version: 12E-1, 9 November, 2010
- Updated current regulators for improved performance
- Updated flux weakening regulator
Bug fixes: No bugs found!
Version - 12D, 27 September, 2010
- Changed the SW Over-current limit to 550 Amps for HW versions 0, 2, 2340, and 2342.
- Added a current proportional gain schedule
- For SCI broadcast, used non-filtered values instead of filtered values for more accurate diagnostics.
- Added Id and Iq commands to CAN broadcast message 0x0AD.
- For motor type 1, updated following parameters:
- Leakage is set to 1.0 instead of 0.57735
- Kp Current is set to 1.0 instead of 2.0
- Mod Limit is set to 1.10 instead of 1.20
- Fixed the bug that was causing the speed resolution to be 2 rpm minimum.
- Corrected resolution on ‘Modulation’ parameter for CAN broadcast message.
Minor Release 12A,
Features: This is a minor release with the following updates:
- Added Delta Resolver Filtered to the broadcast message 0x0A5.
- Added a new broadcast message 0x0AD to send Modulation Index and Flux Weakening Output information.
- Added Inverter Enable State and Direction Command to byte 6 and 7 respectively, to the broadcast message 0x0AA.
RMS Traction Inverters in the News
EV Powertrain for Light to Medium Duty Trucks
Electric Race Motorcycle
Green Car Congress
Debut of the RMS PM Family of Drives